[geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 11:09:15 CST 2001

Sorry to hear about your tenuous job. That sucks muchly.

I don't know if this helps you feel better, but honestly, I suspect there
are more NT admin positions around than Unix.

Most everything you want to trial can be done on a home network. Besides,
admin positions focus more on admining the O/S. The specific software a
prospective employer uses will usually be unique. The only times I have seen
admin positions that required strong application knowledge was for high
profile functions, like SAP, Peoplesoft, Oracle, etc. Usually, such
companies hire people specifically skilled in admining those applications
(or they should). We have 7 Unix/NT admins here, but we also have a highly
skilled Oracle DBA. And, like most cluefull companies, our O/S admins are
separate from our network admins (all two of us networkers are actually
engineers, but we admin too).