[geeks] Sunblade 1K vs MacG4 vs Ultra 60

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 10:45:43 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 03:27:44PM +0100, William S . wrote:
> Just curious how each of you would rate the following
> on a scale of desirability to have. Not to fulfill a specific
> utilization. Just for the fun of having and using and
> all around neatness.
>
> 1.  Sunblade 1000
> 2.  Power Mac G4
> 3.  Ultra 60
>
> I know some of you have first-hand experience
> with all/some of these.

Well, as someone who desires all of them, I probably would rank them as such:
By how much I want one:
1. Powermac g4
2. Sunblade
3. Ultra 60.

By how likely I am to get them:
1. Ultra 60
2. Powermac G4
3. Sunblade.

Those SB1ks sure are expensive, and for the money, I think I'd rather go for a
mid size onyx configuration (although onyx would end up costing a lot more on
upkeep).  The Ultra 60s and PowerMacs are pretty reasonably price.  Which I'd
go for if I had the money probably varies from month to month.  If I felt like
getting a great server, I'd go for the Ultra, but other months, OS X would tip
the scale towards the G4 (though I still dislike the looks of the G4 towers
immensely).

Most other people would probably put the SB1k on top of what they want.

--
Joshua D. Boyd