[geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 16:56:17 CST 2001

>On December 11, Big Endian wrote:
>>  >   Are you implying that there exist people who can make NT "work"? ;)
>>
>>  *bow* at your service.  NT "work"s.  It has its own quirks, its a
>>  pain in the ass, it can't be made to "work" as well as a unix
>>  equivalent can be made to work but I managed a large NT network for a
>>  while.  Sometimes I'd rather have 50 users and a dozen NT servers
>>  than 6 programers and 40 web application servers. (ESPECIALLY when
>>  they don't want to admit that their bugs caused the servesr to thrash
>>  their disks and spike to load averages of 100.00+ a half dozen times
>>  in one day)
>
>   Good news.  Dan has fixed NT so it doesn't suck anymore.

I didn't say it doesn't suck. I said it works.  I've run stable
(6months-1year uptime), useful (main file server, main devel
webserver), and quick nt servers.  Granted they were *INTERNAL* hosts
for a specific group of people that needed it for a government
contract but they WORKED for what they needed to do.  As far as I
know the box never rebooted while I worked at that company.

daniel