[geeks] Thoughts re: corporate software replacement

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 16:41:11 CST 2001

>I'm seriously looking for a new job and one of the things that will allow
>me to reacclimate myself to the Solaris environment would be to replace
>our NT servers.  I was wondering if anyone here has done such a migration
>and could recommend the ins and outs of each software category and/or
>replacement products that are free or low cost.  Keep in mind that Linux
>and FreeBSD are also options since this company has problems paying some
>of its employees and is practically flat broke.

Umm... I'll leave this part of the idea alone.  I'd not be making
changes in such and environment but thats just me.

>I am looking to replace:
>
>Citrix Metaframe 1.8 (for admin only so a freeware solution that works
>over a modem is fine...graphical of course... i.e. I can ssh in just fine
>otherwise and may prefer it but for completeness sake I want to do a full
>migration which will eventually include desktops but I want the experience
>relatively seamless)

VNC would do nicely, X11 also... but they need a *LOT* of bandwidth
compared to a dialup.

>IIS 4.0 currently using ASP for Outlook Web Access (garbage that can be
>easily replaced)

There are many free webmail programs out there... never needed one so
I can't make a suggestion.

>Exchange 5.5 (here's the toughy..  I need something with POP and IMAP
>support as well as being more than just a mail server.  Something I can
>plug Outlook into temporarily and later move to an open client..)

Sendmail/postfix with a pop3 (qpopper?) and imap (no clue here)
server would do you for mail.  For the groupware thing good luck.  If
you find something let me know!

>Easy file services and support for NT (i.e. the best Samba package and
>tools)... and a UNIX analog for the dummies when I finally migrate the
>desktops.  I'm sure this is a snap with KDE's file manager and standard
>NFS mounts.

You hit this one right on.

>Something that isn't present but I need to cut my teeth on:
>Directory services, Security services, and possibly remote access.

OpenLDAP, kerberos, and IPSec or dialups respectively.

>I'm looking to build a rough Santa's workshop here that still functions in
>a corporate environment but would cure my insane boredom here and give me
>a leg up to get my ass out of here.

Good luck!

daniel