[geeks] TORX Question - Mac SE/30 tool - what wrench?

Andrew Weiss geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 09:12:00 CST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I need to get this Mac SE/30 up or out, but I don't know which Torx wrench
> is correct. Sears.com has these three likely candidates:
>
>     T10 x 6 in. Soft Grip Screwdriver 00947430000
>
>     T15 x 6 in. Soft Grip Screwdriver 00947431000
>
>     T20 x 6 in. Soft Grip Screwdriver 00947432000
>
> Each are $4.99.
>
> Which one do I need to crack open the Mac SE/30 case and (I really dread
> asking this, but let's try and be civil ;^) is 6" long enough. (ducks)

You need something like a 10 inch T8.  The Macs use non standard Torx
sizes... I ended up finding a nail file with a hexagonal end on one side
(handle) that just happened to fit when tapped lightly with a hammer....
then turned with a pair of pliers.

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.