[geeks] Re: [rescue] bahahahaha.

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 10:54:09 CST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, R. Lonstein wrote:
> Sad. This guy needs a vacation, badly. Really overwrought. That he
> starts from shouting to declaring dictatorship shows how out of control
> he is and how out of control is his classroom.

Sounds like a friend of mine when he gets loud... At my school the
teachers knew they were outclassed and pretty much did crowd control --
the kids did what they want, with the exception of mucking in the BIOS
because that had a password on it and only two or three students were
smart enough to find the utilities to decrypt the password.

One of my favorite experiences was when the computer lab teacher came down
to my electronics teacher to talk about a locking utility. I was allowed
to look at the book. I told them I could break it. They didn't believe me.
I then said: "Well, the machine *does* have a reset button."

> I've been in the instructor's role at both High School and college and
> he is way off base. He should have given written policies and enforced
> them using the NT profiles. He should also have recognized that the
> machines and software will be abused and planned quick rebuilds via disk
> image- probably doing so weekly. No need to get upset, no need to argue,
> just prearrange everything. The entire scenario should have been avoided
> or defused.
>
> Sad.
>
> - Ross

That mp3 made my blood boil. I cannot stand stupid people, stupid
teachers, or control-freak teachers. I noticed that *nowhere* did the
teacher say anything about saving your work to a floppy, etc. I'd have
broke my foot off in the teacher's ass for that experience.

I would have also turned that argument about the workplace against him. I
had a teacher who used to keep everything fairly light but the minute that
something went wrong and someone had to get sent to the office, it was
for written down as something that would have been death to business. Like
talking back to a supervisor. (That particular experience was a
misunderstanding on his part -- I said "nononono!" to the guys around me,
not *him*. Fat chance convincing a teacher of that.)

I tried to help what teachers I could, but the resident clued-idiot won
that one. He was in with the library folks because he was in with the
principal, etc. That's OK. They reformated a Win95 box with a SCSI hard
drive and scanner because they didn't like the way it behaved. SCSI
scanner never worked again. That idiot got snubbed hard senior year.

That verbal abuse wouldn't have gone over either. That's worthy of a
lawsuit.

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   | IM: KrisBSD