[geeks] !!!

David Passmore geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 00:34:04 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:54:44AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   You disagree that it's broken?  You must be using it on a platform
> that the libtool authors like.
>
>   Try compiling MySQL under NetBSD and expecting it to run without
> complaining about looking for ".libs/..." at runtime.  Or any of the
> Gnome components under IRIX, which are what have been giving me
> heartburn for the past ten hours.
>
>   I appreciate the work of developers who write wonderful software
> like KDE and Gnome.  I want to choke the life out of them, however,
> when I find that they think "all the world is a Linux/intel box" and
> forget that C is a portable language.  *grumble*

Then you're not bitching about libtool, you're bitching about the
programmers who implement it in a broken fashion.

.libs is where libtools builds both static and shared versions of the
objects it's asked to build. If the binary has runtime dependencies on .libs
it is broken. The environmental variable LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH will tell
libtool-built binaries where to find the shared objects they need.

Libtool works fine for me under Solaris, IRIX, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Dynix
PTX, HP-UX, Cygwin, U-Win...

David