[geeks] !!!

Dave McGuire geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 00:04:47 CST 2001

On December 10, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   It's buggy as hell on everything but Linux on a crappy Intel
> > processor.
>
> That explains why I haven't had much trouble with it.  I've barely touched
> irix with it.

  That explains it. :-)

> So, are you actually trying to get the GNOME desktop going on your Impact?

  I've been trying for ten hours.  I'm about to give up.

> I hope that it works better than enlightenment does on an O2.  I hope never to
> repeat that horror.

  I don't think I'll ever know.  Enlightenment is unbelievably slow, and
has been sitting at release 0.16.5 for like a year.  The authors have
been saying stuff like "0.17 is just around the corner!" and "very
exciting work happening this week!" for the past six months at least.
I think it's dead, or close to it.

  I *really* like KDE, and I worked for days getting KDE v1 built under
IRIX about two years ago...but the mailer was very unstable at the
time (as in..."losing mail" unstable), and neither of the two
newsreaders would even start up.  I'd really like to run KDE2, but it
isn't even close to being compilable...and it's written in completely
incomprehensible C++ that the developers don't seem interested in
making portable.  Every few months someone files a bug report about
their IRIX compilation failures, some by seemingly accomplished C++
people who, despite their knowledge of the language, STILL can't make
heads or tails of that code...and the pleas for help go unacknowledged
and unaddressed.

   *GRUMBLE*

     -Dave

--