[geeks] !!!

David Passmore geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 9 23:47:19 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:35:52AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > Someone mind explaining to me what is so bad about libtool?  I haven't used it
> > extensively, but it seems like a handy system.
>
>   It would be handy if it EVER FUCKING WORKED!!
>
>   It's buggy as hell on everything but Linux on a crappy Intel
> processor.
>
>   I rate it right down there with imake.

I have to disagree with you there, Dave. It's cryptic and complex to
implement, but I use it in a package to support loadable modules (shared
objects loaded during runtime) for a package that has to be very portable,
and it works like a charm. It even compiles the modules in statically on
platforms with broken dynamic loading (like Windows) without me having to do
more than use its macros in place of dlopen() in my code.

David