[geeks] ARGH. KVMs

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 9 22:36:49 CST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:13:57PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On December 9, Zach Malone wrote:
> > All the large racks I have seen use console servers, but that wouldn't work
> > well with Windows machines I suppose.
>
>   There's only one thing to do when faced with a large rack of windows
> machines.
>
>   Run.

Either that or right a script that ssh's into each machine and kills X.

Speaking of sshing into machines, in the linux lab at school, the sysadmin
chose to configure the machines so that anyone can run the eject command on the
CDROM (don't know about the zip drives), reguardless of whether they are
sitting at the machine, or sitting at home in estonia over their breaks.  So,
someone realizes that they can do this, and they start doing machines at random
in the middle of a lab session.  Of course, everyone assumes that since I know
what is going on, and what causes it, that I must be at fault (really, I
wasn't, this time).

Now, this week someone figured out how to right a script that ejects every
cdrom in the room at once.  Stupid punk.

And the sysadmin knows about this problem, and refuses to do anything about it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd