[geeks] ARGH. KVMs

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 9 22:32:39 CST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:18:31PM -0500, Zach Malone wrote:
> > Yup, Raritan paragon :)  the ONLY way to handle a rack with 50 1U servers
> > in it :):):)
>
> To bring up the KVM/PC issue again, its the only way to deal with 50 1U PCs.
> All the large racks I have seen use console servers, but that wouldn't work
> well with Windows machines I suppose.

It might work.  You could get PeeCees that support serial consoles, then use
VNC for everything else.  Increasingly, it seems that you actually might be
able to get away with just sshing into NT machines, and using command line
tools (particularly WSH) to configure things.  When it comes down to really
mission critical though, it would be possible to fail in ways that SSH and
the serial console can't fix (I don't know if PC serial consoles can ever be
set up to give you command line access from in WindowsNT).  Then you either
need a real console, or you need to assume that Windows machines refers to
server that for some silly reason still have XWindows running on them.

--
Joshua D. Boyd