[geeks] cool webulation idea

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 5 15:02:58 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:35:41AM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
> I thought it would be cool to build a website that showed the front panel of
> a MITS Altair. Make the switches and lights really do something (by java or
> whatever) and have it follow the function of the original machine. One could
> program an Altair through the web. Since the Altair had no ascii or video
> interface, it could perfectly emulate a real Altair.
>
> But, how to emulate the 8080A logic. Is this info available now that the
> 8080 is 30 years old?

8080 is a subset of Z80, and there are *plenty* of Z80 emulators out
there.  There's also copious documentation of the Z80 instruction set.
I imagine that at least some of them will note which instructions are
also available on the 8080.

  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced