[geeks] Alternatives to BIND?

Phil Brutsche geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 09:49:05 CST 2001

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 09:19, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Any suggestions for a lightweight alternative to BIND?  I would look
> at djbdns, but for his "must install my daemontools and svscan and this
> and that..." policy...

On a *nix box there's BIND and djbdns... and BIND... and djbdns.

Unfortunately everything else is still in development, has had no
development in years, or wants you to do silly things to your DNS setup
like go through and reformat all our zones... or all of the above :)

Alternatives that meet the above 3 criteria are:

MaraDNS http://www.maradns.org
DENTS http://www.dents.org (I think - this is the one that hasn't seen
    development in years :)
CustomDNS http://customdns.sourceforge.net - It's written in Java &
    relies heavily on SQL.  Need I say more?
dnsjava http://www.xbill.org/dnsjava - Written in Java

--

Phil