[geeks] Which Dell Latitude notebook?

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 10:32:45 CST 2001

> Here's another vote for the IBM Stinkpad. Say what you will about model
> inconsistancies and such, they are a solid machine. I use two in daily
duty
> (600X with Win2K + 600E with Linux). Both travel daily. The Linux support
is
> excellent.

I haven't really liked a Thinkpad model since the 770.  I can't really weigh
in with any authority on any other models, except the "i" series - which
I've found to suck beyond all suckiness.  We have several different "i"
series laptops at Bungo, all in various stages of disrepair.

When I got to Bungo, I spec'd out some Dell Inspiron 8000 laptops for me and
and one of the developers - and he thanks me weekly for it :)

Brand loyalties aside, I'm sure that Dell and IBM both make excellent
laptops - but the quality of case design is directly proportionate to the
base price of the model.  The "i" series Thinkpads were inexpensive, the
Inspiron 8000 was not.  I find the 8000 to be a very solid case design - no
problems at all.

That said - my work Inspiron 8000 runs SuSE 7.2 flawlessly - including the
modem.  My home 8000 runs Win2k - for games mostly.

Kurt