[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Mike Hebel geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 16:11:46 CDT 2001

DC> I rather liked the Word Perfect way of doing things.  Even in the GUI
DC> versions, you could, as well as the usual WYSIWYG, split the screen into
DC> two, one being plain fixed-width text with formatting codes visible, the
DC> other being a WYSIWYG rendition of the section you were working on.  When
DC> I'm TeXing, I really miss that.  And Lyx, whilst I like it, isn't mature
DC> enough for full-time use.  The table rendering, in particular, is a bit
DC> crap.

Hmmm, I used to use an old Windows version of Ventura Publisher for
this stuff.  I got quite used to it over time and even with flakes I
found it the cleanest program to use in the Win-Doze environment.  (At
the time I wasn't working with 'nix and since I haven't done any
publishing.)

DC> Pity their Windows product was such a steaming pile of dung in other
DC> areas.

Oh you mean like...um...network printing?  Or maybe the
we'lltakeupallthememoryinyoursystemwhilerunning (aka $memory_leak)
process?  Or how about the ever present network user database corruption
problem?

I spent quite a few _days_ maintaining that software on a 5, yes 5,
user network.  Needless to say we never put it anywhere else and when
we could convince them to we switched them to Office.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc