[geeks] Mac Quadra is up and running... Tee-hee!

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 06:50:44 CDT 2001

Thanks to everyones help last night, the Quadra 660AV is up and running - I don't yet have the ethernet adapter, but I have found a source for the cable at $1/ea (unfortunately, there is nothing else at the site I want, well, that I can justify - $15 used keyboards and $15 used mice are not very appealing... though I am attracted to the refurbished Expert Mouse trackballs (4 button)...).

Any way, after installing System 7.6, I deleted all the software that was pre-installed (Office 97 for PPC, Acrobat that wouldn't start) and now have a whopping 300 Meg available on a 500 meg HD! And, that is *with* a copy of the old system folder!

The machine was sorta peppy (with no software running, what would slow it down!), but I decided to up the RAM - I pulled the one supplemental 4 Meg SIMM and put in 2x 32 Meg Parity SIMMs, 68 Megs just makes me feel better ;^). Tonight I will try non-parity SIMMs (I forgot I had them, looks like I have three sets of 2x 32 Meg SIMMs FPM non-parity), but they should work fine, as the RAM I pulled was non-parity.

My next issue will b to find a browser to start getting software on the machine - I suppose there is some sort of browser on the System 7.6 CD (HotDog or some such silly named browser), correct?

I set the screen to 8XX x 6XX as that was as high as I could go with thousands of colors (1024x786 only offered 256 colors) - can VRAM be upgraded on this box? I'd love to go 1024x768x(thousands)...

I guess I am going to be learning about Macs now ;^) - any good reference/software sites for a newbie? I've spent some time on www.lowendmac.com, but I am wondering if there are other good sites I just haven't bumped into yet...

Again, thanks for all the help...

Ken