[geeks] 0000000F 0000000C (pronounced "oooh fok")

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 21:24:47 CDT 2001

>As in "oooh fok, no OS" (I hope!?)
>
>I found that my wifes (otherwise) idle Mac uses the same
>keyboard/mouse as the new Quadra 660AV I am trying to set-up, so I
>took them to it, hooked up one of my *two* mac video adapters (I
>have way too much stuff!), and powered-up.
>
>Great power-on music...
>
>Then a sad mac appears, and the message above is displayed...
>
>Questions:
>
>     If I get a MacOS CD, do I just put it in the CD-ROM drive and power-up?
>
>     Is there a "best" software release for this box? (considering the
>     specialty hardware installed) 7.X? 8.0?
>
>     Anyone have an old copy of the OS available? AFAIK it looks like
>     Apple considers all software before OS 8.1 obsolete, and disk images
>     can be downloaded, but only on Mac boxes, so I don't think there is
>     a license concern - am I correct?
>
>     It looks like 36 bit 70 ns or faster RAM should be fine, can anyone
>     confirm this?
>
>     It looks like a CPU speed-up can be arranged for $50 +/- - is it
>     a worthwhile investment for a play machine?
>
>Sorry for all the questions,
>
>Ken

Sad macs have nothing to do with the OS unfortunately.  Try booting
up with the command (open apple), option, P and R keys held down..
This will flush the NVRAM (called pram on a mac).  if that doesn't
help you then you have a hardware fault.  I don't remember my sadmac
codes anymore... GURU doesn't mention parity on the ram, try non
parity ram.  I'll look it up though...  I would suggest 7.5.5 which
is freely downloadable from apple's ftp site (see previous email)
what kind of CPU speedup?  If its more than the 50 mhz cpu you have
(ie 80mhz) it might be worth it.  You *MIGHT* be able to get 8.1 to
run on it but thats not really worth the effort in terms of speed.
8.0 was considered the EOL of the 68k os.  8.5 didn't even support a
68k.  If you're not going to be using this for web/M$ 98/etc use
7.5.5.  I used that for years on my centris 650 (50mhz 040, 16mb ram)
and it Just Worked (tm).

daniel