[geeks] Diff. between SunOS and Solaris

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 13:51:47 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, August 29, 2001 at 18:47:16 (+0530), D Bhargav wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Diff. between SunOS and Solaris
>
> Could anybody educate me on the differences between SunOS and Solaris?

"SunOS" is what the operating system is called.

"Solaris" is the marketing name for the combined SunOS + OpenWindows (or
whatever it is these days) distribution, documentation, etc.

Solaris-1.x contains SunOS-4.x

Solaris-2.x contains SunOS-5.x (where x <= 6)

Solaris 7 contains SunOS-5.7

Solaris 8 contains SunOS-5.8

Solaris 9 probably contains SunOS-5.9 though it maybe should be called SunOS-6.0

For example here's the system info in various forms from a machine
running the Solaris-8 distribution:

	# arch
	sun4
	# uname -m
	sun4u
	# uname -n
	doug
	# uname -p
	sparc
	# uname -r
	5.8
	# uname -s
	SunOS
	# uname -v
	Generic_108528-03
	# uname -i
	SUNW,Ultra-5_10
	# uname -a
	SunOS doug 5.8 Generic_108528-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
	# uname -X
	System = SunOS
	Node = doug
	Release = 5.8