[geeks] Careeer shifting

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 09:00:50 CDT 2001

Um... not just gov.
As you know, Unisys is HQed in Blue Ball(s) PA, so there are LOTs of Unisys
systems around Central PA. I even networked a few myself (Yes, using the
Burroughs Standard Poll Select protocol!! I wonder if anyone here has even
heard of that beast).

They make a nice "doall" miniframe (some called the A-series). Most will
talk Poll Select, TCP/IP, SPX/IPX and Netbios simultaneously. Their native
O/S (forgot the name but remember a little about admining it) will also
"host" MS Windows and other O/S's on top of it.

They are huge in the banking industry. In fact, there is some gargantuan
hosted banking service (forgot the name) that runs on Unisys and they are
nationwide. I had a customer (Sovereign Bank) that used it and had a mother
feed via T1. Imagine 1.54Mb of polled synchrounous ascii terminal traffic.
It was interesting to say the least.

btw, Amdhal is out, but there is some Japanese company still in the S/390
clone biz (a former customer bought one last year, might be Fuji).