[geeks] Databases

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 21:48:17 CDT 2001

So, to rephrase it - it seems that it is a way to implement on the database
server logic that can not be implemented in SQL...

Interesting, but not great, in my opinon - SQL is *very* flexible, and
almost any query should be able to be appropriately refined if done
properly.

When I studied DB/2, the course was taught by IBM, and their advice was to
do as much as possible *in the database", and that as IBM improved the SQL
optimizer, DB queries would get faster. They strongly discouraged
end-user/programmers from learning too much about how the optimizer worked,
becuase they wanted free reign to implement improvements as they saw fit,
without having to educate end user/programmers on the changes.

What I really hear in your example Josh, is that it is a way to implement a
three-tier application, with only two physical tiers...

Thanks for the insight, I never get involved with this stuff...

Ken