Wargo does a rant (was Re: [geeks] Cool Mac deals...)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 18:14:14 CDT 2001

Brian,

I downloaded the latest image from Sun about a week ago. My problem occurred
when I tried to install *everything* at once. It would just stop after a few
packages.

I queried Sun, their response was as follows - I choose to belive them,
their suggested fix worked, and that's what matters (to me):

Today, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downlaoded the .ISO file and burned my own Companion CD, but I can
> not install it on my systems - the installer just hangs, either while
> checking for available diskspace or while installing the first software
> group.
>
> Are there any unusual pre-requesites/requirements I can be missing? The
> systems I have tried are an Ultra 30/300 w/256 Meg RAM, and an SS/20 w/128
> Meg (failed with an out of memory), and the same SS/20 w/256 Meg (hung
while
> installing first software group).
>
> Thanks for any advice/pointers youu cna provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Hello Ken,

This sounds it's caused by problem we're aware of where
there's a version mismatch between the graphical
installer software that is used by the Companion CD and
the Solaris Operating Environment installed on your
systems.

I'll assume that you don't want to update your Solaris
Operating Environment at this time, in which case the
following is the best workaround to this problem:

Bypass the graphical installer and install the packages
using the standard SVR4 pkgadd utility
(/usr/sbin/pkgadd). The packages are located in the
following directory on the Companion CD:

    For SPARC systems:
     /cdrom/s8_software_companion/components/sparc/Packages

    For Intel systems:
     /cdrom/s8_software_companion/components/intel/Packages

Regards,
Eric

Eric Boutilier                |
Sr. Product Marketing Mgr.    |