Wargo does a rant (was Re: [geeks] Cool Mac deals...)

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 17:45:13 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 06:44:09PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> The Solaris Companion Software CD installation tool only works with Solaris
> 8, April, 2001 or later - the install I did was on a box with Solaris CD
> from before then.

poppycock.  i have a pre-4/01 solaris and Companion and it works fine.  now
maybe you either need an older Companion or a newer Solaris, but a general
blanket statement like that is false.

> I knew I needed Solaris 8, but only the most recent revision? That is a bit
> steep - I don't think you can even patch/upgrade the installer components on
> older builds (IIRC they are not broken, just different from the latest
> revision).

i don't know why you would need the latest release though.  maybe java is less
broken in that release? :)

-brian