Wargo does a rant (was Re: [geeks] Cool Mac deals...)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 12:07:15 CDT 2001

See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter L. Wargo" <pwargo at basenji.com>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 4:03 AM
Subject: Wargo does a rant (was Re: [geeks] Cool Mac deals...)

<snip>
> Actually, it's all been shit since about 1988 or so.  I miss the 680x0
> arch, and the Sun 3/60 is still the coolest workstation ever built.

OK Pete, I'll get the 3/60 in the mail, you wrap up that Ultra 60 that's
coming in and we'll swap! ;^)

> NeXT was cool, too.  Good OS, but the MO drive sucked the big weenie.

Jobs was hoping to repeat the impact he had with 3 1/2" floppies in the Mac
by supporting a new technology...

<snip>

> Keyboards now all suck as well, 1988 was the high-water mark.  (Remember
> the Zenith Z-100?  THAT was a keyboard.)  Sun's type-6 makes me want to
> spew lung butter all over the cosmos.

5 year old (guess) Lexmark keyboards (the "Gawd thats a heavy keyboard"
models) are my favorites - if you ar eserious, you have spares against
"inovation"!

> Things were better with blinkey lights - you could walk by a rack of disks

Obviously... ;^)

> Java SUCKS! (Sorry Scott, can I keep my job?), Perl sucks, Python is cool,
> as is PHP.  Sendmail killed most of my brain cells, Apache rocks, and I
> love DSL.

I tried to install the Solaris Companion Software CD using the GUI, and it
hung, repeatedly on several systems. It is a know problem with an
incompatability with older versions of Solaris.

Older Versions of Solaris meand any release of Solaris released before
April, 2001! Bung-holes - could they figure out a patch? In their defense,
pkgadd works fine...

<snip>

> Real hackers speak proper english, don't tack "z"'s onto the end of every
> damn word, and have a code of ethics.  Real hackers also prefer flat foods
> and massive amounts of cola.  Also, programming stoned is far more
> productive, and C++ is actually a cruel joke designed to keep hardware
> companies in business by creating bloated code that requires a gigahertz
> processor just to read email.

IMHO, hackers are educated, in persuit of technical knowledge... Ipulled out
my soldering iron last night to fix a lamp my son got from a friend in
Germany - it uses 220 Volts, dropped down to 12V AC, so I cut off the
adapter, soldered in a RS power brick, and two solder joints later I'm done.
But when my wife saw me with the soldering iron she looked at me like I wad
come out of the basement with a welding kit! ("You know how to, uhm,
solder?" "Why do you have a soldering iron?")

She forgot that I went to Engineering School (for 34 months!)...

Ken