[geeks] Databases

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 14:12:00 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:16:39PM -0400, Mike Dombrowski wrote:

> Actually, I've heard that MS SQL is pretty nice - people have referred
> to it as MS's best software.

I said that too, up til version 6.5 - cos then it was really just Sybase
at the core.  Version 7 and later, though, are said to be complete
re-writes, and I trust them just as much as any other MS software.

I'll admit, I haven't used it myself after v6.5, but we do have one box
running it at work (don't ask - it's being replaced) and it runs like a
dog.

>                               It can scale much larger than most of the
> free databases and it quite quick on nice hardware.

And then it gets r00ted and dies horribly because you are compelled to
use such a steaming pile of an operating system with it.  Ho hum.

>                                                     I played around
> with it for a bit and found it pretty nice also but I didn't do much
> digging.

Yes, Sybase and Transact-SQL are rather nice IMO.  Certainly better than
the free competition unless you're really pressed for cash.

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery