[geeks] rlogin for MacOS

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 09:18:05 CDT 2001

>Looks good.  One problem.  I need it to display graphics i.e. be seen as
>a display device.
>On the AIX it will launch any graphical application/X application via
>xdm on the IRIX.
>There doesn't seem to be any Mac program that will do this.
>Too bad...
>I suppose I'll have to try out macweenies (I really don't want to
>subscribe to ANOTHER list).
>:)
>Thanks

There are X11 implementations for the "classic" macos.  However they
are relatively expensive ($175 for the Tenon X server).  At this
point I would recommend VNCThing (http://www.webthing.net/vncthing/).
It works with both OS X and Down to 8.1 with carbonlib.  Best of all
its free.  The SGI server packages can be found here:
http://freeware.sgi.com/Dist/fw_vnc-3.3.3r2.tardist  .  The nice
thing about VNC is its platform independance (you can view any
platform with a VNC server from any platform with a vnc viewer)  The
bad thing about it is that its slow.  Believe it or not X11 IS faster
than some things....

daniel