[geeks] heh, so that is what FDDI is...

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 19:53:37 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 06:40:04PM -0500, Tugrul Galatali wrote:
> 	That is if my assessment is correct, is there anything else that uses
> those cables? Those lines never became a topic of discussing beyond my
> teacher installing the transceivers to save us the trouble of running ether
> up through the 10-floor building. They used to interlink the Token Ring
> concentrators for the labs of 386s we had.

pretty much everything.  there are only a few different types of fibre.

> 	One thing I'm left wondering about is how rugged is this cabling? We
> treated it fairly carefully back then in high school, simply being told it was
> expensive and delicate. I'm not sure I want delicate cabling around until I
> move out after college and get a dedicated room for these guys.

ok, fibre is actually pretty rugged.  although you still need to be careful with
it.  a cat5 cable will handle getting run over by a rolling chair.  a piece of
fibre will most likely not survive that.  but other than getting crushed/pinched
it's not nearly as fragile as people make it out to be.

-brian