[geeks] Re: "Word Processing" != productive use of one's time....

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 02:08:58 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:54:09AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 07:35:35AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > If a publisher won't accept TeX then they don't get my work.
>
> When it comes to a choice between "staying true to ideals" (e.g.,
> using TeX/VI) and not getting paid, or using Word for something and
> getting paid, I think most of us would choose the money. 8-)

Ah yes, very true.  But the book I want to write will be for a bit of
beer money on top of my salary.  I don't lose out if it doesn't get
printed.

Ideally, I'll be able to publish it online and through a traditional
publisher anyway - I don't mind if that cuts down on the money I get -
similar to how the Bruce Momjian's Postgres book or Olaf Kirch's Linux
Network Administrators' Guide.

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery