[geeks] Re: "Word Processing" != productive use of one's time....

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 01:35:35 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:39:06AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 12:28:04AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > The ironic part:
> >
> > I had to submit the chapter in MS Word format.
> >
> > (I wrote it in VI, then imported it into Word and sent it to them
> >  that way..)
>
>                                                 But, too many unix people
> like being incompabitily with the minority of companies to really make it
> sucessful, I suspect.

I don't like being incompatible, it's just that I want to do my job
properly.  Therefore I write in TeX.  If a publisher insists on me submitting
my work in Wyrd, then we have a problem.  You see, I don't have a copy of
Wyrd.  The converters in packages like Star Office are not good enough
at the job IME (at least that's what I gather from how they mangle
complex Wyrd documents) and so I can't trust them to do the job properly
with my text.  And, of course, there's no way I can check the results
before sending it off.  So, to avoid looking like an idiot, I won't even
try.  If a publisher won't accept TeX then they don't get my work.

--
David Cantrell | currently talking to publishers about a book

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery