[geeks] solaris 2.5.1/ppc cd found

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 12:40:01 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:27:44PM -0500, Reagen B . Ward wrote:
> > As for the other crappy software might I refer you to a recent article
> > posted to newsforge.net about the city of Largo, FL running their entire
> > IT department on Linux.  (search for "secretaries use linux").
>
> It was easy for them, as they were converting from SCO, and were already
> using X11 apps.  They even compiled KDE on SCO to help ease in the
> transition.  Not to mention the fact that they still have access to
> windows apps on a remote server, a fact lots of folks tend to ignore.

Yes, but staying with SCO still would have been superior to Windows (and
in fact, they still use SCO for running Wordperfect).  Also, one windows
server is better than windows everywhere.  And they mentioned that they
are hoping to move to OpenOffice in a year or so, replacing the
excel server, and the SCO wordperfect server.  Just waiting for the
wordperfect filters to be 100%.  I thought it was quite
interesting.  Myself, I use Gnumeric, and either emacs/latex or abiword,
but I don't put either gnumeric or abiword, are so wouldn't be surprised
if it wouldn't be good enough for power users like my parents.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].