[geeks] solaris 2.5.1/ppc cd found

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 14:22:43 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:07:16PM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> > Under OS X, just dd if=/dev/whatever of=~/foo.iso *should* work.
>
> Should it? Don't you have to mkisofs? Or am I underestimating the power
> of dd?

mkisofs is for creating an ISO image from a bunch of files.  We already
have a 'file' (/dev/whatever) which contains an ISO image, so we just
need to copy it.  You don't use cp because cp'ing devices is generally
not going to do what you want.

  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ``I know, I'll use
  regular expressions.'' Now they have two problems.        -- jwz