[geeks] Yeah, the G4 is faster...

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 07:03:36 CDT 2001

Please understand, I am not questioning your numbers, but I don't
understand - how can a 500 MHz CPU perform 1,400 MFLOPS?

In my understanding, an MFLOP is a Million FLoating point OPerations,
correct? If the CPU cycles through, oh, let's say 500 Million clock cycles a
second, and *if* the smallest FLoating point OPeration can be executed in
*one* clock cycle, shouldn't it max out at 500 MFLOPS?

By my back of the envelope calculation, you've got aprox 3 FLoating point
OPerations going on at the same time...

I don't get it.

BUT, I assume my understanding of what an MFLOP is is too simplistic, so I
would appreciate if someone could provide me an explaination to have these
two conflicting pieces of information make sense...

Thanks in advance,

Ken