Is is me, or... (Re: [geeks] summary of my hack..)

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 21:40:02 CDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Yet another reason for not running telnetd.  I run ssh everywhere, telnet
> > nowhere.  And for those rare occasions when the firewall won't let me
> > ssh out, well I just happen to have HTTP tunnelling set up* on my Linuxy
> > router.
>
> Now say it slowly: SSH GOOD! Telnetd BAD!

Until I got hacked a few years back, basenji.com was an open system, anon
FTP, etc.  I made it known that it was no real challenge, and that there
was nothing to be gained.  (Hell, if you want an account, I'll give you
one!)

Worked for almost 5 years.

Then some bottom-feeding, ass-licking, scum-sucking dickweed of a college
student thought it would be cool to use my system to do DOS attacks on
IRC.  Out comes the firewall, off go telnet, FTP, and the like.  He was so
clueless, he didn't even wipe the wmtp files correctly, we had his
location in a few seconds.  Twit.  No class.

Now, I will admit that I (and certain friends of mine) did a bit of
noodling around back int he 80's when we were in college.  Only natural.
But I *never* would've touched a system.  Looked, yes, but never touched.
Not even any significant CPU time. (Back then, CPU time was still billed
in many places.)

So, is it me, or are these script kiddie pukes kinda retarded?  I mean,
they show none of the art that was true hacking, they just vandalize like
a bunch of common taggers. (Real Graffiti is, IMO, an art form.)

Bet they never even read Hardwired...  Bleah.

-Pete