[geeks] Re: SGI introduces O2+

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 20:12:00 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Mike Dombrowski wrote:

> I agree, it's a completely unimpressive machine. They talk about
> performance gains of like %50, %60, and %30 when they need gains of
> 200% or more at same price. Too bad >

Yeah.  SGI lost it with the NT crap, shoulda stuck to what they knew.
That's one reason why Sun and Apple more or less rock - they stick to what
they do best (most of the time, I do remember the 386i -got 4 of 'em-, as
well as the Macintosh TV), and they improve the breed as they go along.

Think about it - you can run the same Solaris 7 on a SPARCstation 1, or an
E10000.  Friggin' amazing.  MacOS (Until OS X) had a 17-year run.  The
Apple II Line sold from 1978 to something like 1994...

Best of all, old hardware still rocks - I know folks doing fine on
computers and OS's that are 10 years old....

-Pete