[geeks] One for Dave McGuire ...

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 16:09:52 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:03:22PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 04:25:15PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21037.html
> >
> > Yeah yeah, I know, atmospheric scattering, absorption in the atmosphere,
> > hazard to air traffic ...
>
> That link gives me DNS errors from both work and school.  Care to
> summerize it?

Thereg has been suffering DoS attacks for a week or two after they slagged
off some skr1pt k1ddiez.  At the same time they had routers blow up and
the police sealed off their offices cos of a shooting outside.  I suppose
it's only right that their DNS should also die.

Very brief summary: some artist thinks it would be great art for everyone
to shine their laser pointers at the dark bit of a crescent moon and make
it go red.  That's it.  I just thought they could do with some *real*
laser help :-)

Problems which immediately spring to mind:
  he mentioned a date and time, but not what timezone that referred to;
  the moon is only 15 seconds of arc wide or something pathetically
    small like that so people won't be able to hit it anyway;
  plus the stuff above

> BTW, I don't think that McGuire is subscribe to this list.

Hmmm, maybe not, but I'm getting mildly annoyed at the amount of traffic
on rescue (started deleting things unread recently) so didn't want to
contribute to the noise-to-signal ratio.

   Educating this luser would be something to frustrate even the
   unflappable Yoda and make him jam a lightsaber up his arse
   while screaming "praise evil, the Dark Side is your friend!".
                              -- Derek Balling, in the Monastery