Cray Porn (was Re: [geeks] big mike?)

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 14:54:50 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 03:38:01PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> I think we've stumbled upon Bill's new idea for saving bandwidth.  He
> tries to make us grossed out until we unsubscribe, thus saving him a few
> hindred k a day per newly unsubscribed person.

Actually I found the cause of the massive bandwidth usage.

server, that runs ht:dig on their archives every night for search
indexes.  Someone forgot to turn on the "dont follow outside links"
flag, and there was a URL for the SunHELP mailing lists in one of
their posts.  So, every time it hit that, it went out and completely
indexed MY archives too - at times doing 10megabits sustained for 10-15
minutes, which showed up on MRTG.

I finally got in contact with someone there who fixed it.  Bandwidth
usage is back to normal now, but for a month and a half there, it
was really chuggin', twice a day.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford