Cray Porn (was Re: [geeks] big mike?)

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 07:59:20 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:36:17AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:01:39PM -0700, koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> > Could I fund a cray by selling shell acounts?
>
> Crays really arent built for "interactive" use.  Company I worked
> for had a J90 - which kicked ass - but a shell on it was like using
> a 386 over a 300 baud modem.  It was tuned for big batch mass jobs,
> not interactivity...

But isn't that what the shell users would do?  I mean, give me a cray
shell, and I'm not going to be trying to lynx from it.  Nope, instead I'm
going to try and get cash from RSA (at least that is what I would do if I
owned the machine.  Probably do something more sensible if it was someone
elses).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/