[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 07:46:55 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:56:44PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> I think new houses are wired for four phone lines (wire ran to every room),
> then they don't have to rip the walls apart to add a second (or third or
> fourth) phone line...

My house was built in the 60s.  It features things like a flat top range
in the kitchen, lots of really horrible wood like panelling, a wet bar in
the basement, a purple bathroom, and a black and white bathroom.  All of
those things should go, but some of them probably won't.

So, 4 phone lines huh.  Does that mean that they are running 8 wires to
every room?  Actually, why not just run x bundles of cat5?  That is what I
wanted to do before moving in, but we didn't have time.  At this point,
the phones will improve as we have reason to work on them.  I do still
want to buy a spool of cable and redo all the cable wiring in the
house.  In every room that has cable (except the kitchen) the
reception is really bad.  I doubt that digital cable would work at all in
our house.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/