[geeks] More DSL

Tim Harrison geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 18:59:38 CDT 2001

Mike Dombrowski wrote:

> Don't things like Cisco 675s do back to back ADSL? I'm almost

AAARRGGH!

DON'T MENTION THOSE EVIL HOCKEY PUCKS!  RUN AWAY.

Okay, I'm over it now. :)  We used to supply the 675 to our customers
for our CAP RADSL services.  Oh my god are they terrible.  They're slow
as all getout (as in, on the same line, I could ping any other device at
about 20ms on a 256k SDSL line, while the 675 ran at about 80ms+).
They're evil on the command line (CBOS is *NOT* IOS and never will be.
:)).  They run pretty hot, as well.

If nothing else will work on your line, then go for it.  But, if you can
use ANYTHING else, do so.

So far, I've had good experiences with the Netopia R7100s, and the ZyXEL
642R (even though, yes, there was a big thing on bugtraq about router
default configurations, but who leaves them configured as the
default?!?!).  Also, the Cisco 827 is a good little routah.  Now
*that's* IOS. :)

Just my opinions (of which I have many, and many disagree with them).

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer
harrison at timharrison.com