[geeks] eek

Zach Malone geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 16:58:10 CDT 2001

In some cases that is true, however, in many cases, it is due to the memory
being not quite standard.  I never had problems using Mushkin, Crucial, and
other name brands, but I have heard it is a problem.  In terms of the
question regarding processors, the dual P3 600s will offer a more "smooth"
feeling when you are running applications which support SMP (Like Photoshop)
and when you are doing multiple things at a time, but peak speeds will be
slower (fewer FPS in games, longer filter times in Photoshop, etc.).
Personally, I would go for the dual P3s, I have a dual P3 800 machine and an
Athlon 1ghz @ 1.466 ghz machines, and I must say, the Slot-1/FC-PPGA
hardware is substantially more stable (and cooler) then the Athlon hardware.
At present, most people disagree with that, but the extra 400mhz you can
pull off the Athlon processer just is not worth the assosiated Via based
instabilities IMHO.
    Zach