[geeks] What is a managed hub, and why would you want one?

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 15:00:08 CDT 2001

Typically speaking a managed hub has the ability to report SNMP statistics,
and may be able to have port settings changed via SNMP, web, console etc...
while running.

Those small linksys switches are pretty cool for a basic environment, but as
they dont support any spanning tree management (or really much management at
all) I wouldnt use a bunch of them on a flat network

Chris Byrne