[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 11:56:48 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:59:31AM -0400, James Sharp wrote:

> T1s almost always terminate into your equipment on copper.  Granted, they

not almost always, always.  unless you manage to talk the phone co into
terminating into your own supplied MUX, which i don't think they will do (or
will only do kicking and screaming about it)

> may be de-muxed out of other hi-cap circuits running over fiber, but the
> telco always hands you a T1 on 2 pair of wire.  There's really no limit to
> how far a T1 can run, other than what you're willing to pay...I put in a
> pair that ran from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh (at the tune of $13,500 a
> month each)...plus a pair that ran from San Antonio down to the Tex/Mex
> border and then got turned into E1s for termination in Mexico city.

why?  would Frame-Relay have been TONS better for something like that?
definitely would have been tons cheaper.  but why the long haul Ts?  that's
insane.  no, i take that back, Mack has a couple E1s that are strung from
France (renault) to Mack HQ (eastern, PA) so it's hard to say (yeah, there is
an E1 that terminates in the US, go figure *G*)

> And you can run T1s for a very long distance over copper, as long as you
> have repeaters in the circuit every 6000 feet or so...but the telco
> usually charges you an arm and a leg and an ear to go along and put those
> repeaters in if you have a long "last mile" loop.  ISDN can only be
> repeated once or twice, giving you a limit of 18,000 feet from the CO.

if the density in the area is high enough, it's usually pretty easy to talk
them into dropping the repeaters and putting in fibre.  although it's always
a freaking battle with those morons.

> When I had ISDN at home, I was 15,000 feet from the CO and SW Bell had to
> come out and dig up part of the cable trunk to put an ISDN repeater in.  I
> made em work for that $65 install fee.

you should made them run fibre to your curb.  really piss them off. :)

-brian