[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 11:51:11 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:50:34AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Since when?  I've never seen ISDN delivered over fiber.  Its a conditioned
> copper line (4 wire).  DSL is just 2-wire copper and can be run over alarm
> pair if needed in some cases.

you'll never get a fibre run to your house for ISDN, it's fibre to the curb and
copper for the final loop (the curb doesn't mean the pole outside your house
either)  unless you live close enough to the CO to get a pure copper loop.

> You might have fiber be the *backbone*; e.g., from a CO to a neighborhood
> junction box, but at one point its going to break out into copper before it
> hits the house.

yes, this is how ISDN was designed.  i even remember the buzzphrase they used
for it was "Fibre to the Curb" which confused people who figured the "Curb" was
the one outside their house, not a mile down the road where the fibre really
stopped. :)

-brian