[geeks] News server access

James Sharp geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 10:59:31 CDT 2001

> no, DSL is copper from CO to house.  T1 and ISDN are fibre from CO to house.
> they suffer the standard fibre long haul limit.  which of course is way farther
> than most people can afford to have a T1 run. :)

T1s almost always terminate into your equipment on copper.  Granted, they
may be de-muxed out of other hi-cap circuits running over fiber, but the
telco always hands you a T1 on 2 pair of wire.  There's really no limit to
how far a T1 can run, other than what you're willing to pay...I put in a
pair that ran from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh (at the tune of $13,500 a
month each)...plus a pair that ran from San Antonio down to the Tex/Mex
border and then got turned into E1s for termination in Mexico city.

And you can run T1s for a very long distance over copper, as long as you
have repeaters in the circuit every 6000 feet or so...but the telco
usually charges you an arm and a leg and an ear to go along and put those
repeaters in if you have a long "last mile" loop.  ISDN can only be
repeated once or twice, giving you a limit of 18,000 feet from the CO.

When I had ISDN at home, I was 15,000 feet from the CO and SW Bell had to
come out and dig up part of the cable trunk to put an ISDN repeater in.  I
made em work for that $65 install fee.