[geeks] super gimp

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 15:10:20 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:52:25PM -0600, Wes Fisher wrote:
> humm...yes....Gimp on a cray would be very erotic. though probably overkill.
> My p166 laptop dishes out gimp just fine. There is such a thing as overkill.

How much memory does that laptop have, and when is the last time you
dished up a 300dpi, letter sized file on it with 10 layers?  Not counting
masks (because I'm not sure how to at the moment), that is a 315 meg file.

Alright, I don't work with images that size.  Why?  Because it chokes my
dual 350 machine (not enough ram).  Instead I work at 100-150 dpi which
works but is still really slow.

The ideal setup might just be a HIPPI network of Onyx's and Crays.  The
Onyx's use GL to accelerate the real time stuff, and the Crays get the
plug-in computations.

Now that would be overkill, for now.  But then, some people would say that
running dual head Octanes is overkill, but people do it for painting (and
I don't know that their software even takes advantage of GL).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/