[geeks] News server access

James Sharp geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 14:46:08 CDT 2001

> > cheaper to run than 20+ phone lines.  A T1 is only 2 wires isn't it?
> My employer offers integrated access.
> 1 t-1   you can have any number of voice or data channels you want.
> comes with a t-1 mux to break voice out to a channelbank and data to an
> ethernet port.  It's a pretty nice consept for small-medium sized
> business' who dont need a full t-1 of data or voice, but want a bundled
> package.    also a t1 is 4 wires

A pretty common package these days is to bring in a T1 and break out 4 or
6 channels for internet connection, a couple more channels for local
telephone service, then a few more for long distance service.

Since you could get the telco to cross connect channels around and put the
LD service channels directly into the LD carrier's switch instead of going
over the LEC or CLEC's switch, the LD carrier would often give you a
pretty good price break.

There are lots and lots of games you can play with a couple of T1s and the
telco's DACS cross-connect switch.  As long as you explain to them EXACTLY
what you want, i.e.  I want channels 20-24 of circuit 31HCGS456738 cross
connected to channels 21-25 of circuit 31HCGS654786 as 4 wire E&M
channels...you've got a pretty good chance of making it all work out.

Sigh...the masochist in me is coming out.  I actually miss doing all of
these fancy network designs and dealing with the telcos.