[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 14:26:03 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:14:27PM -0600, Wes Fisher wrote:
> I'm in wyoming so as you can imagine broadband is scarce. I do get some from
> a local networking company offering 128k wireless acesss at $50 with a
> static IP address. Very cool stuff. I'd prefer a landline though for
> security. The network runs off Cisco Aironet cards. Not bad for 802.11b all
> things considering. And it's a small town, so we can get away with it pretty
> easily.

they have the cool wireless shit in/near philly, it's like $90/month.  my friend
had it for a couple months waiting for the new CO to be finished so he could
get DSL, but the worst speeds he got was 128Kbps, if the link was good, he would
get upwards to 500Kbps speeds.  not to shabby, and you can take it with you.

i was going to get it, but they dont' offer it here in allentown.  although i
may be commuting rather far to work soon (fingers crossed) and if they cover
from lansdale to philly i'll get it, since then i could be online during my
train ride to work (commute will be 30 minutes in a car followed by 30-45
minutes in a train, and possible subway time as well) then i could be the
geekies guy i know (oh wait, i already am, nevermind)

-brian