[geeks] Cable vs. DSL debate

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 12:06:26 CDT 2001

See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] News server access

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 12:25:45PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > All DSL carriers are going to it - see
> > http://www.internetweek.com/newslead01/lead080201.htm
>
> No, SBC is pressuring ISPs who use circuits from them to use
> PPPoE; far from "all DSL carriers".

Let's make a list of all the DSL "providers" that own their own facilities,
then let's take a look at their financials. Now, how many will still be in
business in 12-24 months.

SBC/Verizon/BS/Ameritech (is that all) will be the only games in town in the
not to distant future, IMHO.

> I'm glad I switched to cablemodem anyway.  No provisioning BS,
> no ILECs going out of business, and no BS from the circuit
> provider.

Oh, I'm sorry, who is the largest cable company - AOL/Time-Warner? LOL.

They will find a way to inject ads everytime you switch the channels, mark
my words...

AOL cried like a stuck pig for cable companies to open up their cable plant
to outside ISPs, now that *they* are the largest cable company, it seems the
cable market is plenty open...

Ken
(Happy with my DSL service)