[geeks] News server access

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:44:02 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'd honestly recommend just spending $100, and getting one of the
> LinkSys BEFSR41 or 11 NAT router/gateways, or one of the SMC Barricade

What happens, though, when someone finds an exploit for them? At least
if you've done it yourself with [*BSD|Linux] you can make what changes
you need to. With those products you've got to wait for a vendor patch.
That bothers me for some reason. I like the fact that my castoff peecee
running a free OS and self-configured by me does a mighty fine job of
doing what I need. Real Soon Now it'll be a SPARC2 instead of a peecee.
Where can it go wrong? Really, I need to know.

Plus, I can't spend the $100 at the moment.

---sambo