[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 10:58:53 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:04:07AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I'd honestly recommend just spending $100, and getting one of the
> LinkSys BEFSR41 or 11 NAT router/gateways, or one of the SMC Barricade
> products.  Easier and quicker (and cheaper) to setup than dedicating a
> "normal" computer to the task, and you dont have to worry about the
> system getting hacked, HD dying, etc.

Does it do port forwarding?  Can I use it to be able to ssh into home, ftp
into home, and maybe even run a www server from home?  I'm told port
forwarding is needed for those tasks, but I don't know if that is all.

If I strictly just wanted NAT, I'd purchase the $50 software upgrade for
the modem.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/