[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 09:30:18 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:37:20AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > What software do you need for DSL? Mine's just a box at the end of the
> > copper with an ethernet port. I run a cable from there to the firewall,
> > and then to the inside switch. No speacial software required.
>
> Verizon does PPoE i think.  that's probably the software he's talking about.

Yep.

> glad i don't need that crud.

I guess it isn't that bad.  Most people seem to be moving to it.  For one
thing, it is probably the best way (or so I'm told) to keep people from
grabbing multiple IPs (without tieing service to a MAC, which sucks even
more).

I do hate that Verizon advertises as always being on.  They are not always
on.  I frequently have to go disconnect then redial.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/